Leader of Production Studio
We are seeking a Leader of the new Production Studio (d/f/m), beginning on October 1, 2021.
The position of a teacher for special tasks (§ 66 Hessian Higher Education Act) is for an initial 4-year full-time contract, grouping according to TV-Hessen (if the requirements are met EG 13 TV-Hessen).
The teacher for special tasks will manages the new production studio for digital processes with focus on immersive digital technologies such as virtual reality (VR), extended reality (XR), augmented reality (AR), and Physical Computing.
You can expect a diverse range of tasks in an artistic institution with about 200 English-speaking students from over 40 different nationalities. You will be responsible for initiating and managing a new workshop for students experimenting across a broad field of digital practices. You will mentor students interested in programming, data processing applications (e.g. MAX/MSP and Pure Data) and Physical Computing hardware and software including Raspberry Pi Microcomputers and Arduino Platform.
The Städelschule seeks applicants with innovative approaches to advancing contemporary art practices using new digital technologies who share a serious commitment to student art education.
- Conceive, initiate, and develop a new Production Studio
- Independent management of Production Studio located at Daimlerstraße 32
- Artistic support and supervision of students is the main focus of the position
- Deliver technical workshops with a focus on the following areas: VR, XR, AR, CGI, Physical Computing and Programming
- Instruction on equipment usage and management of technical resources
- Maintain a broad familiarity with current applications of these processes within contemporary artistic practices
- Familiarity with the history of new media as well as its developments and evolutions from the 1960s onwards, and an understanding of the role artists from all over the world have played in this development
- Very positive attitude toward students and a strong work ethic
- Successfully completed (technical) university studies in the artistic and/or digital field
- Experience working with artists
- Evidence of pedagogical and didactic aptitude and experience teaching programming, data processing applications (e.g. MAX/MSP and Pure Data) and Physical Computing hardware and software including Raspberry Pi Microcomputers and Arduino Platform
- Artistic empathy for student projects is a prerequisite
- Track record of practice in the field of contemporary media is desired as well as an open-mindedness for experimental work
- Fluent in German with very good knowledge of English (classes are conducted in English)
- Competence in at least one programming language
- Gender competence in the sense of recognizing relevant gender aspects and dealing with them in a manner directed towards gender equality
- Competence with regard to anti-discrimination.
The Städelschule aims to increase the proportion of women in artistic and academic staff and in management positions and strongly encourages applications from qualified women, who will be given preferential consideration if they have the same qualifications until they reach a 50% quota in the respective staff category. Likewise, the Städelschule is committed to anti-discriminatory measures in its personnel policy. Furthermore, the Städelschule strives to create application and working conditions that are as barrier-free as possible. In this context, the Städelschule actively supports applications from people with disabilities. Applicants are not entitled to reimbursement of travel and accommodation expenses incurred as part of the admission process.
Applicants must submit the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Current curriculum vitae
- A statement of teaching experience (description of teaching approach and philosophy, and description of past or current experience and efforts to promote diversity and inclusion)
- Sample syllabus
- Names and contact information of 3 individuals who have agreed to write a letter of recommendation
Please submit your strong application materials as a single PDF to the following e-mail account by July 31, 2021: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Application for Leader of Production Studio at the Städelschule." Review of applications will begin in August and will continue until the position is filled or the posting is closed. Additional materials may be requested after the initial review of applications.